Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Father and a son and a grandson

Many of you know that my father died about nine years ago from heart disease. He was a great father and man. Truly grateful for him and what he did for me my entire life. He was also a great husband to my mother. They were married for 42 years. They modeled to us how to love and serve each other. What is also amazing is that I had no idea the Lord was going to allow me to have another father. My mother remarried a few years ago to Ted (Ted also lost his wife to an illness) and it is beautiful to see their love for each other. My entire family loves Ted and so glad we are all together.

Several people use to ask me what I thought about my Mom and Ted getting married and how I was dealing with it. My response has always been the same. If the Lord wanted my first father to be married to my mother, he would be here married to her. The Lord wanted him home with Him in heaven.

What is also incredible is the love Ted has for us and our children. This weekend my oldest son and I are hunting with Ted and having a blast. The meals together and conversations are priceless. Honestly, it doesn't matter if we see a deer because we will always have this chapter in our life to reflect on in the future.

Ted and Slade Mitchell (my son) were leaving to go hunting together and as I was walking away to go to my spot, Ted called me back and got the three of us together. He said he wanted to pray for us. He did and then we went our separate ways. I just keep thinking about what happened and keep smiling. These are memories that will stay with me for a lifetime. They are also foundational building blocks for my son. I know throughout his life, he will relive these memories and have great thoughts. It just reminds me how precious life is and how fast it moves. It doesn't matter if you are a hunter or not, we need to make time for these opportunities and be intentional.

Have a great day and make some fun memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment