Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Beautiful Bride

I remember one day when an older mentoring friend came up to my side and put his arm around my shoulder as our wives were in front of us talking. He said, "Slade you sure do remind me of myself." I said, "How is that Mr. Crosby?" He said, "Because we both married way above ourselves."

I think about that night and conversation often and know without a shadow of a doubt how true Mr. Crosby's comment was and is in my life. I remember the first time I saw Wendy that I knew I wanted to get to know her. That was 18 years ago and I am so thankful that the Lord knew that this was exactly the helpmate I needed.

I have so many great memories of doing fun things together but what I really love is just being with her. We have laughed and we have cried together and I know that she loves and cares for me just how I am. There are plenty of times in my life where I just look in the mirror and ask myself why in the world did I make a mountain out of that molehill.

When I read what Paul says in the bible, "Husbands love your wife as Christ loved the church" I just shake my head in defeat at times and ask myself, "Why can't you realize how great you have it Slade?" Then the Lord reminds me of His grace through Christ and the grace I can have with Wendy. As we continue to grow older together I pray that the Lord will help me to be more intentional with Wendy and to be way more grace giving and a heart to die more to myself and to serve her more in the little things as well as the big things.

I want to encourage us all to hold that special person in our life more. To purposely stop the other person and look them in the eyes and tell them how thankful you are for them and how much you love having them in your life. To hold their hand tight for no special reason. To write a special card and hide it where they find it. Go out on a date, plan the whole thing and do something that would be fun and romantic for them. The list could go on and on.

One might say, well they don't deserve any of this from me until they earn it. It is amazing how a soft touch or words spoken gently can touch a heart.

Thank you my dear Wendy for your love and kindness to me and may I continue to learn how to love my beautiful bride like Christ loved the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment